In October, GSF’s Opelika, Alabama Protein Products team earned ISO 14001 certification for its ongoing efforts to apply sustainable practices within the operations. The Opelika manufacturing facility joins GSF Conyers as the second manufacturing facility to achieve this certification. The globally recognized ISO 14001 sets standards for companies to improve their environmental management systems and ensure continual improvement of environmental impact.
According to the ISO website, organizations should take a strategic approach to improving their environmental performance for many reasons. Companies that use the standard have reported that ISO 14001 helps:
- Demonstrate compliance with current and future statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Increase leadership involvement and engagement of employees.
- Improve company reputation and the confidence of stakeholders through strategic communication.
- Achieve strategic business aims by incorporating environmental issues into business management.
- Provide a competitive and financial advantage through improved efficiencies and reduced costs.
- Encourage better environmental performance of suppliers by integrating them into the organization’s business systems.
“Congratulations to our Opelika team on achieving the ISO 14001 certification and maintaining the highest standards to ensure that our Protein Products business continues to work towards sustainability,” said Wayne Morgan, GSF Corporate Vice President and President, Protein Products and Operations Support Services. “This program requires the full support of the entire facility team, and the dedicated efforts of all our Opelika associates have made this accomplishment possible.”