Golden State Foods recently awarded their annual 2018 Chairman’s Challenge award for outstanding facility achievement in safety, customer service, employee satisfaction, efficiencies, profitability, and innovation. This year’s award went to GSF’s subsidiary company, KanPak in Penn Yan, NY. Recognized as GSF’s highest internal honor, the annual award was presented to the KanPak team at Golden State Foods’ Global Leadership Conference in Las Vegas, NV.
For the Chairman’s Challenge Award, the KanPak Penn Yan team was recognized for demonstrating outstanding performance in a number of significant areas, including these few key accomplishments:
- Earned outstanding scores on third-party audits and customer satisfaction surveys;
- Supported both customer and business growth plans to flex capacity delivering high quality product;
- Achieved more than 300 days without a recordable injury;
- Outstanding associate participation in the GSF Foundation, resulting in nearly 120,000 meals provided, and 800 backpacks donated to children in four school districts as they continued to support the less fortunate in their community;
- Exceeded their financial plan and improved against prior year performance.
“This is the first time that a KanPak facility has earned the Chairman’s Challenge Award, and it gives me so much pride to see this team succeed,” said Mark Wetterau, chairman and chief executive officer, Golden State Foods. “The accomplishments of this team are a direct result of thoughtful succession planning, mentoring next generation leaders in the company, and ultimately ensuring the right people are in the right positions to succeed for our valued customers.”
“It’s an incredible honor to accept the 2018 Chairman’s Challenge Award on behalf of the hard- working associates who made this possible at KanPak,” said Ryan Mitchell, general manager for KanPak in Penn Yan. “I started with KanPak as an associate on the manufacturing floor, working my way up to General Manager, so I know that it takes every person at every level working towards the same goal to be successful – and that’s exactly what KanPak did to earn this award.”
In addition to the Chairman’s Challenge Award, “Best in Class” awards were distributed in two categories for Quality Custom Distribution (QCD), and Food Processing. The winners for these categories were QCD in Waipahu, Hawaii, and KanPak in Penn Yan. The Chairman’s Challenge winner is determined each year from these candidates.